Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog has not urinated for 24 hours.

Customer Question

My dog has not urinated for 24 hours.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Is she trying to urinate but is not able to?

2. Is she otherwise bright and happy and acting normally?

This is just an information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she has not tried to urinate but once this morning.
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. If your dog is acting normally and is not straining to unsuccessfully to pass urine then the chances are this is nothing to worry about at present. However if your dog is just the same tomorrow then you should have her checked over just to be on the safe side. It could be she just does not want to go at present for whatever reason.

2. If your dog is trying to pass urine but is unable to so then this could be something like a urinary tract infection. { cystitis } While this is generally not a serious disease in the dog it is best treated with prescription drugs such as antibiotics so a visit to the vet would still be in order.

In my experience in your dog's age group { Two years of age } it would be rare for this to be a serious situation. If it is not a urinary tract infection then hopefully she will start to go on her own soon.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we were worried that shia might have licked the desitin off of her privates and that was causing her problems.
Hello again,

I would not worry too much on that score, Desitin { zinc oxide cream } would not have that sort of effect. I have known dogs swallow this product when chewing on a tube of Destin which they have found and it ofen does not seem to affect them much in my experience, a mild transient diarrhoea perhaps but very often not even that.