Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog has been put on Chloramphenicol for a skin infection known as MRSA. He also has an

Customer Question

My dog has been put on Chloramphenicol for a skin infection known as MRSA. He also has an ointment and a medicated bath 2x a week. They believe the infection is a result of long term antibiotic use for his perianal fistulas. I cannot call him today so I am looking for a Vet to help me with my concerns. I read the side effects of the drug and it can cause a side effect that is fatal. I AM SCARED TO CONTINUE THE THERAPY. Can you give me better statistics or help me understand the risks of this drug before I continue therapy with it. I know the internet is dangerous to read information and I need some help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. Chloramphenicol is VERY well tolerated in dogs -- the possibility of fatal side effects occurs in people and in cats, but dogs are not known to be affected by this particular side effect. This drug is no longer used in humans for this reason, and should not be used in cats, but in cases of resistant bacterial infections such as MRSA, it's one of our best options for dogs.

You should wear gloves while handling the tablets, just to play it safe, but Rufus is not likely to be at any risk from taking Chloramphenicol.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about the other side effects like the anemia, Luekemia, Low blood Marrow etc. . .He will be on it for 30 days, 250mg/8h=750 mg/ day. Is your opinion still the same about it. furthermore. I believe he has has it before when he was on Baytril and Ciprofoxacin (not sure of the spelling) will this treatment limit its recurrence if he resumes the Flagyl regimen. And if I have to wear glove to handle it why would I want it in his system. I have used calendula tincute on it and it kills it but it does pop up elsewhere. Also, what about colonization. . .what does that mean?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Since you have a lot of questions here I'll try to go through in list form for efficiency:

What about the other side effects like the anemia, Luekemia (sic), Low blood Marrow etc.

These are the affects that occur in humans and in cats -- and are not usually seen in dogs except with very long-term therapy (several months, usually). If any of these effects are seen, they will resolve with stopping the drug.

He will be on it for 30 days, 250mg/8h=750 mg/ day. Is your opinion still the same about it.

Yes, I believe that is an appropriate dose protocol (for a dog weighing approximately 10-12 pounds), and I've used that approach successfully in dozens of dogs previously, with good efficacy and safety.

furthermore. I believe he has has it before when he was on Baytril and Ciprofloxacin (not sure of the spelling) will this treatment limit its recurrence if he resumes the Flagyl regimen.

MRSA is not typically carried on dogs, it's likely he picked it up from a human who was carrying it, possibly without any symptoms. It is important to continue treatment to the point of a negative follow-up culture.

I'm not sure what you're referring to about resuming Flagyl, that's not a drug that has any real use in managing skin problems.

And if I have to wear glove to handle it why would I want it in his system.

He's a dog, you're a human. Protecting yourself from more common side effects is important -- his body is far less likely to experience side effects.

I have used calendula tincute (sic) on it and it kills it but it does pop up elsewhere. Also, what about colonization. . .what does that mean?

Colonization is simply the process of bacteria multiplying and spreading across a surface, be it skin, or other organs, or a tabletop, etc.
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! I will contuinue
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome -- best wishes for you and Rufus! :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think I gave him MRSA and how can I be tested for it?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Your doctor can perform swabs and cultures to check for it; as a veterinarian I'm not familiar with the specific procedures followed in people.