Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog all of a sudden yesterday started acting tired and is

My dog all of a sudden yesterday started acting tired and is not playful. He eats and drinks very little. He trembles a little when breathing and sleeping. He has gone to the bathroom, but no stool. He has had seizures in the past but not sure if he had one and this is just the after effects.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.Each answer is typed individually so please allow me a few minutes after your reply.

What color are his gums?

Any vomiting?

When did he last pass stool?

Any human foods like turkey before this happened?

Does he eat non food items like toys, clothes etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gums are pink, no vomiting, last stool was yesterday about 16 hours ago, no human food before, has never eating toys or any objects
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

In a senior dog this could be due to several things and without a full exam and some blood work it would be impossible to know for sure.

I see you gave him some turkey, I know you are just trying to get him to eat but I would not give the turkey. Turkey seems to be a big cause of pancreatitis in dogs so this could actually make things worse.

Not passing stool normally can be due to a blockage in the digestive tract not likely a foreign object if he does not normally eat things but a growth in the abdomen can cause the same problem. If not neutered an enlarged prostate or infection in the prostate can cause them not to be able to pass stool , can be painful ( which may be the cause of the shaking) and cause lethargy.

For today I would try Pepcid AC at a dose of 1 10mg tablet per 40lbs of body weight every 12 hours. If he has some digestive upset this will help. Try offering boiled chicken instead of the turkey and rinse well to remove any fat.

I would suggest calling your vet in the morning and have them take a look at him. They may recommend blood work to check organ function as well as x rays to look for any abnormalities such as a growths or tumor on the spleen( common in this breed).

I would keep him as quiet as possible until you can have him seen.

I hope all goes well, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns
Candy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At what point dies it become an emergency? Is there signs that will tell me it is getting worse it is something else. He has had seizures in the past and usually acts this way after one.
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
This is typical behavior after a seizure and some dogs can take 24-36 hours to fully recover. If he becomes unable to walk, has another seizure, his gums become pale or white in color or he declines in any way I would have him seen in the ER if he stays how he is now and he is responsive will eat and go to the bathroom he can wait until tomorrow.

If possible I would take a rectal temp , Normal temp is 100.5-102.5 is below 100 or above 103 I would have him seen right away
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer