Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

my dog is throwing up and having diarrhea. she has thrown up

my dog is throwing up and having diarrhea. she has thrown up 4 times and had runny poop twice. what should i do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-47nt4y68~

How long has she been sick?

What breed is she?

How old is she?

Is she spayed?

Is she up to date on vaccines?

Has she eaten anything unusual?

Does she get rawhides, bones or people food?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has been sick for about 4 hours.
She is a German Shepherd and Blue heeler
about 5 months
not spayed
not yet, we have an appointment next week
she might have eaten something unusual. she eats things off the ground outside
she does get raw hides and bones
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

Is her belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Can you tell what she's been throwing up?

Has she gone places other dogs are (dog park, ect)?

How is she acting otherwise?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
her belly is soft

she has thrown up her food. it looks just like her canned food

she walks around in the neighborhood with other dogs but has not been to the dog park yet

she just threw up again
just clear like water
she is wagging her tail and looks like she feeling pretty rough
she just wants lay down but will get up if i move around
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions. Just one more if you don't mind:

Have you noticed any blood in the vomit or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have not noticed any blood in either the vomit or the poop
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions.

In a pup as young as yours, who hasn't had any vaccines, the first think we think of with vomiting and diarrhea is the possibility of something like Parvo. However, since your girl is acting mostly normal and doesn't seem to have any blood in the vomit or diarrhea, I suspect we're just dealing with a generalized case of upset stomach...probably from something she may have eaten outside.

The gold standard for treatment of both diarrhea and vomiting in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast her for 24 hours (providing she doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require she eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in her bowl so that she can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting or diarrhea. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in her kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the diarrhea or vomit or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have her seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection.

I hope this helps!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your time. I haven't had her very long( about 2 weeks). I am really glad that i was able to talk to someone. I think i will try your suggestions. Thank you again.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

You're very welcome.

Please take a second to hit the green 'accept' button...it's the only way I get credit for my work and it won't end our session...you can always come back to this question and update me on how she's doing. I hope she's feeling better soon!!

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification