Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

our 14 year old beagle/bassett is pacing/panting/drooling/shaking,

our 14 year old beagle/bassett is pacing/panting/drooling/shaking, etc. She seemed to recover successfully from a vestibular episode about 2 months ago, except for permanently tilted head and increased weakness in back legs (I have to carry her up and down stairs). Last Monday she began the frantic panting/pacing/drooling/shaking behavior. This is also what she does during fireworks and thunderstorms. Monday night she wandered away from the house and was missing until FRIDAY a.m. when someone found her wandering disoriented about two miles from our house. We are stunned she survived outside so long(two sub-freezing nights plus little or no food, etc.), but our vet checked her over and said heart and lungs are fine, give her benadryl for the anxiety (panting/drooling/pacing/shaking) behavior. OK...so now she is up ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT with this extreme behavior and the benadryl appears to have zero effect on her.

Oh, also she is urinating in the house (never done this before) and then tries to lick it up (??). When I taker her outside, she just sits there and stares at me.

Today she clawed our mattress to shreds on one side trying to get on the bed. The carpet below the bed on that side is soaked with her drool. She is also trying to claw her way up my leg. She weighs about 45 lbs so she is no lap dog. I pull her onto the sofa to snuggle so she can burrow into me for safety like she does during rainstorms, but nothign seems to work. Any ideas?

What can we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Has the vet checked any bloodwork or urine from her recently?

In between these episodes, is she normal? responsive?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No bloodwork or urine work on Saturday (the post-lost dog check up), but bloodwork, etc. after vestibular episode was normal.

The behavior began Monday afternoon and continued until she wandered away and was lost Monday evening. When we found her again Friday morning, she was exhausted, ate and drank ravenously and slept all day long. Between infrequent sleeping, she is awake, frantic, panicky, drooling, shaking, urinating in house, panting, pacing, disoriented. She is "responsive" in that she recognizes me but she remains focused on her missive of panting, pacing, etc.. My presence provides her small relief, but shee seems grateful I am weathering the storm with her, in that she prefers to be frantic in my company rather than alone. PS - she is stone deaf and has been since she was little.

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 2 years ago.

Her symptoms are very suspicious of a condition called cognitive dysfunction syndrome. It is a condition that we see in older dogs with signs that vary from dog to dog. For lack of a better comparison, it is similar to Alzheimer's disease in humans. IN the early stages, the signs can be difficult to recognize, but as it progresses, is usually much more obvious.

I am including an information sheet about it for you as well as a checklist for you to use with your veterinarian.

cognitive dysfunction

CDS checklist - this is a checklist used to help owners chart the progress of treatment if they treat with meds, but it does list of the signs.

maturedogs.com - This is also a website devoted to older dogs and has a whole section about CDS.

Here are some of the most common signs seen, but there are many others as well:

general confusion - your pet doesn't greet or seem to recognize you as before, your pet gets 'lost' in the yard or house

inappropriate vocalization - barking or meowing in the middle of the night, or for no 'good' reason? (I know, some dogs don't need a reason to bark.)

getting day and night mixed up - sleeping all day, awake all night?

confusing indoor and outdoor - a previously housebroken pet soiling in the house?

personality changes - i.e. a formerly outgoing pet becoming timid or aggressive?

I have seen a good number of dogs affected by this and all have exhibited different signs, especially in the early stages. Some dogs I have seen have responded to diet change alone. Hill's b/d diet is a good choice. If not, the medication called Anipryl® is very effective for many dogs.

I generally start with the supplements first (+/- diet change to b/d if there are no other dietary restrictions needed). I usually recommend increasing the omega 3's in the diet as well. The active ingredient of fish oil is EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid). You just want to make sure you are seeing those on the label as an ingredient and not just the words "fish oil" as these are the important part of the fish oil and not all fish oil capsules have them in it, especially the cheaper ones. Aim for 180mg EPA and 120 mg DHA per 10 lbs body weight daily. There is a large range of safety and it doesn't have to be that amount exactly but this gives you some guidelines.

There are various additional supplements on the market to help with brain health. The three most readily available are: Cholidin, Senilife and Novifit. As far as which supplement to try first, I do not think there is any general agreement on that. Between the cholidin, senilife, and novifit I would make my decisions on which to use based on cost, ease of administration and availability. I do not see a problem with using them all if cost is not an issue and you have a dog who doesn't mind taking oral supplements. There may be more benefit to starting with multiple approaches for a greater combined effect and backing off to a minimum effective combination if you get a favorable response. It is not always easy to track response as the symptoms can be variable and intermittent.

I would add the Anipryl if needed for better effect or as the cognitive dysfunction progresses. No treatment is immediate and so you need to give it a little time to evaluate the response.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me what symptoms the anipryl and/or supplements will address? What kind of response or improvements should we be on the look out for? Will she continue to degenerate otherwise? I understand our expectations should be adjusted for her advanced age, but most importantly we are looking to make her comfortable and this behavior seems to be very stressful for her (and us). Thank you so much. You have provided me with good information for options.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 2 years ago.

In my experience with treating this condition, when a dog responded, usually all of the symptoms improved to some degree. They seemed more alert/aware, less forgetful, less agitated, etc. Sometimes the changes were more gradual, over a few weeks, but if there was a response usually by 2-3 weeks, the owner would definitely see some degree of improvement (that is where the checklist helps). Unfortunately, even if they respond, the condition does seem to progress in time and they will likely return at some point.

Because her symptoms seem more severe than some other dogs I have seen, I would be tempted to go right to the anipryl and/or b/d diet versus starting with just the supplements. I see no problem with starting all at once to give her the best shot at response.

Good luck.

Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.