Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I found a bump on my dogs base of her tail. It is about a

I found a bump on my dog's base of her tail. It is about a size of a dime. When I touch it, it does not hurt her but I can feel it move around. What can that be? Is it something serious?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. If this lump is not fixed and you can move it around then the chances are it is nothing to worry about, it could for example be a cyst or an abscess or a fatty lump { lipoma } All off these are very common in dogs.

2. However you never really can be sure, and though unlikely more serious diagnosis are possible. The best plan then would be to have your vet check this over just to be on the safe side.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On line can they have developed?

abcess? fatty lump? cyst?

Hello again,

Glad to talk things over with you further :

1. An abscess can form from any small wound or insect bite, anything where infection can get under the skin really. This infection them multiplies and an abscess is the result.

2. There are many forms of cyst that you can see in the dog but the sebaceous gland cyst is the most common. Sebaceous fluid builds up inside pores in the skin, it becomes trapped there and the cyst results.

3. Fatty lumps { lipomas } are benign cancers of fat cells, while they are a cancer so is a wart and they are rarely anything to worry about. The actual cause of their formation is unknown but it is probably as a result of a genetic defect in a single cell.