Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog yelps when he tries to bark, then he shakes and shivers

My dog yelps when he tries to bark, then he shakes and shivers as if he is frightened. After about five minutes he stops shaking and is ok. We do not know what it could be. He seems a little lethargic and quieter than usual but otherwise he is ok so long as he is not barking. He is eating normally and going to the bathroom normally. The symptoms have been present for about three days. He is a 3yr old porkie (Pomeranian-Yorkie). Weighs about 5lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-x0dg9tg2~

Could he have gotten into anything he shouldn't have?

Does he get bones, rawhides or people food?

Does he ever eat non-food items (sticks, toys, towels, ect.)?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No vomiting or diarrhea. I don't think he ate anything he shouldn't have. He seems otherwise normal. We've even tried to examine him by touching him, especially his sides and his throat, and seeing it if elicted any sort of pain or response, but he seems fairly normal. Really the only time these symptoms arise is when he tries to bark. He normally barks a lot, but now he has not been barking much at all. When he does try to bark, he does not produce a barking noise but instead lets out a yelp, then starts to shiver.
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions.

It's not uncommon for exceptionally barky dogs to end up with some throat tenderness from a prolonged barking session. The fact that there's literally no possibility that he ate something that could have poked his throat (like a bone or rawhide), and is eating, drinking, and mostly acting normally makes me think this could be what's going on.

At this point, I think it's perfectly okay to give him another day or so to recover and rest his voice. Try to encourage him to be as quiet as possible so that he doesn't further irritate the throat. If he's still acting painful on MOnday, then you should have your vet take a peek at him, just to be sure that there's not something going on like a polyp or some other vocal issue.

And of course it goes without saying that if he stops eating and drinking, becomes lethargic or has any other unusual symptoms you should have him seen at an emergency vet as soon as you notice any of these problems.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.
You're very welcome. I hope he's feeling better soon.