Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My dog, a yorkie had 6 puppies yesterday, her first litter,

My dog, a yorkie had 6 puppies yesterday, her first litter, and she seems to want to hide one of the puppies. I'm not sure if it is the same one or not. It is for sure one of the little ones. She gave birth to all her puppies in the whelping box and did a great job at it. She seems to have quite the mothering instinct. But she keeps picking one up and running around the room with it. Last night she put 4 of them under the covers in my bed, I had to put all of them back. We finally got out the crate from our lab, cleaned it and put bedding in it put the mom and puppies in it and closed the door. This is in our walk in closet, and it is dark. She still picks up the puppy in her mouth and it keeps screaming, I don't know if she is hurting it or not! I want to be able to leave the door open but then she runs around the room with the screaming puppy in her mouth again. I have tried to make sure that she is feeding all of them, but instead of stretching out to nurse, she is curling herself in a little ball. I have tried to put the smaller pups on her nipples, but they dont seem to latch on. I have formula and can feed them, but how do I know i this is necessary? I don't want to keep touching them and upset her...help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 years ago.

Sally Grott :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. Puppies need to eat every two hours, the fact that she is hiding them but not feeding them may indicate she is ill. The pup may be crying because of hunger and it is not easy to bottle feed puppies. Touching them may not be what is exciting the mom but if you are in a traffic area of the home or if there are other dogs in the home she may try to keep them safe from that. ARe the pups warm enough? (You said she is putting them under blankets )

Sally Grott :

I am not sure if chat is working, but I would not hesitate to get the mother checked by your vet and get started bottle feeding if they are not eating from the mother

Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I knew all the things contained in the answer. I really need to know when I need to intervene if I don't think the puppies are getting complete nutrition. How will I know if the smallest 2 are getting enough or any milk from the mom. I have seen the other 4 nursing. And if the mom can hurt her babies by carrying them around in her mouth. The room is warm and there is a blanket over her crate. it is quiet in the closet.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-g44ec7zi~

Do you have a scale at home?

Have you seen the two smallest nursing at all?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, you will need to weigh the puppies daily and keep a chart of their growth for proper monitoring. If the mother is not feeding them you need to intervene now and not wait. But the mother needs an exam to be sure she does not have an infection of some sort and that is the reason she is not feeding them. If there is an infection and the pups are nursing then the pups run the risk of infection and that is not something you can chance. Put them all together in a small room with the door closed so they are blocked off from the rest of the family. The mother may be too nervous with all the activity, as well she may be too young and not know what to do. As I stated the pups need to eat at least every two hours and if they are crying a lot and loudly they are hungry and not getting enough food. If you don't see mom feeding them you should be bottle feeding them every two hours, if they cry in between then feed them again. Then you will need to take a warm wash cloth and help them eliminate if the mother is not licking the genital area or the anus area you will need to take the warm washcloth and rub in a downward motion along the genital area to stimulate them to eliminate. Make sure the room temperature is up to 75 80 degrees so they are warm if you can't keep a high temp in the room then get a heat lamp from the hardware store, put it on a pole and lower ./raise it as necessary to keep the area warm./ You want to start at about 5 or 6 feet up from the pups, if they huddle together they are probably cold, if they move away toward the side of the nursing area then they are too hot so move the lamp. Do not lock the mother from the puppies unless she is actually hurting them or is ill.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We got a scale and weighed them yesterday, we also made sure the smaller 2 nursed. We have moved everything out of the closet, and given her several options as to where to put her puppies. We have a heating pad in one of the boxes, but we will go get a heat lamp today. I hope the only problem is that they are cold, because she keeps burying them in blankets. We have picked up all the blankets so that she cannot sufffocate them. She seems really frantic. Is there anything we can do to calm her down?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 years ago.
You can't really give her meds as that would then be passed to babies. She may not be old enough or really know how to mother correctly.You are doing the right thing by keeping the pups fed and warm. Some mother dogs just panic but as the pups get older the mom starts to tune into the job. I would sit with her while she nurses and pet her to keep her there longer. Make sure she goes in every couple of hours, bottle feed those that you can to help her. Get an outdoor thermometer as well so you can see what the temp is in the pups room. Check the mom often for signs of swelling or discoloration of the teats to be sure there is no infection as if there is infection that would hurt her if the pups were nursing.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think she is too young as she is 3 and a half. We did sit with her and get her to nurse the 2 smallest puppies for a while. But she is seperating the smallest 2 from the rest, and I think she might be taking turns nursing them, at least i hope she is.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 years ago.
It is also possible that they are ill and she is shoving them away so really keep your eye on those two. Take their temps often and keep updates on weight.