Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 5.5 pound dog ate an ear plug about three days ago maybe

My 5.5 pound dog ate one of those foam ear plugs about three days ago maybe two. Now Tuesday night she threw it up. The problem is we don't know if ate the other one. She seems fine barking alot as usual diving off the bed. She is going to the bathroom. I did notice a slight change in drinking and eating, but my dog is weird like that. She did throw up a little twice today, so now I am nervous about the possible other ear plug. I mean if one came out shouldn't the other have? Can it be stuck? Will it expand? I mean again no fever or anything else just a little spit up a couple days later.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.

Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.Each answer is typed individually so please allow me a few minutes after your reply.

When did she last pas stool and was it normal?

Is she vomiting up her food?

Is she eating normally?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She just passed stool last night no vomiting up food just little spit up clear or like.light vanilla color nothing in it and she just ate...its hard to tell bc she eats when she wants always has but she has ate yes.
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If she is passing stool that is a good sign. With a full blockage we normally see the inability to pass stool and with a partial blockage you may see diarrhea.

This is not to say for sure this has not become lodged if she did in fact eat the second one.Hopefully this has just caused some irritation to the intestines or stomach.

Little dogs really need to eat 3 times per day to help maintain a proper blood glucose levels and prevent acid build up in the stomach.

If she has always had days were she does not eat that could be due to a medical problem such as a liver shunt and should be discussed with your vet.

If she is eating and passing stool you can try to treat the vomiting at home. I would suggest trying 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid AC and see if this calms the stomach and gets her more interested in food. You can add 1/2 teaspoon of Metamucil to her food . If there is a ear plug still in the digestive tract this may help to move it through.

I would feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice ( or boiled hamburger) for the next 2 days. If she does not eat today or has any additional bouts of vomiting I would have her seen by the vet for x rays to be sure that one of the ear plugs is not still in the intestines causing a problem.

I hope all goes well, please reply back if you have additional questions

Candy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok but she just ate so do I need the chicken and rice? Also I can get regular metamucil from the store just give some adult not.child size? Also I mean not sure if she ate second one maybe just irritation. She has done this before but it was only one and it came out as did this one just not sure of she ate second one. What is liver Shunt? I mean she has always been like that and had blood work.over years all turned out fine so maybe just every dog is different? Her stomach does in a big blue moon.make noises but it passes. Figure every dog has gas or feels sick sometimes. Funny thing is its not coming out in stool this time.or.last time she throws it up. What signs do I look.for where need to bring for xray??
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.

Ok. I would use the chicken and rice for the next 2 days. You do not have to give it now if she just ate but I would give for each additional meal. This is easily digested so it will help if there is some irritation. You can use regular Metamucil just give 1/2 teaspoon today and tomorrow.

A liver shunt is blood vessel that bypasses the liver not allowing for proper filtering of the blood. I would have expected to see changes in the blood work if this was a problem but it is something we consider with a small dog that does not always eat as it should as sometimes this is the only symptom. If you have had blood work then I would not be too concerned but it was something I felt I needed to suggest.

Here is more on this

http://www.yorkierescue.com/livershunt/research2.html

If she stops eating, vomits her food, seem painful in the abdomen or is not passing stool then she should be seen for x rays.

In the future when she has tummy trouble the Pepcid AC will help in most cases.

Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer