Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog is pooping bloody mucus and his tummy is gurgling a

My dog is pooping bloody mucus and his tummy is gurgling a lot. He has been to the vet a little over a week ago and I had to not feed him for 24 hrs, then a bland Science Diet wet food for 2 days. The vet also did a fecal test and said there were no parasites. I slowly put him on a normal food (Natures Recipe, grain-free, salmon sweet potato and pumpkin)and now it is happening again. He is not vomiting or acting funny. He plays with my other dog and cat, barks at everything and eats mostly normal (he is part chihuahua so they get finicky), and is drinking normally. Please help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-shlak3tj~

How much blood would you estimate is in the feces (a teaspoon, more?)

Is he urinating normally?

Is he eating normally again?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Less than a teaspoon of blood, but sometimes there is no poop, just mucus and a little blood. He is urinating normally and he has been eating normally except he did not want to eat this morning.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Dogs may have a little bleeding or discharge from the rectum for a couple reasons: damage done to the rectum while defecating, certain types of cancer, impacted/infected anal glands, parasite infection and polyps are just a few.

If there is only a small amount of drainage around the area, I would just keep an eye on it for now. Sometimes dogs will try to pass a large amount of fecal material and can cause small tears in their rectum. These generally will heal on their own without any sort of medical intervention. Feeding the dog some canned pumpkin (make sure that it's only real canned pumpkin, not the pie filling) can help make the stool a little easier to pass, thereby helping to not tear things any further.

Parasites such as worms and protozoan infections such as coccidia and giardia can produce blood in the stool and blood from the rectum after bowel movements. You can read about these here:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

A problem with the anal glands can also cause a bit of bleeding. You can find more information on those here: http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm .

You can read about rectal polyps here:
http://www.petcancer.co.uk/cgi-bin/articles/020.htm

Whatever the cause, rectal discharge is never normal and I think it's a VERY good idea to give your vet a call if it hasn't stopped in another day or so and have them take a peek at him, just to be sure that this isn't something more serious than just a little tear from defecating.

I hope this helps!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please re read my information -

Optional Information:
Pet's Sex: Male
Pet's Age: 6
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I read that. The information I gave you did touch on parasites, but it also touched on the possibility of something more going on. With a 6 year old dog, there could be things like IBD (irritable bowel syndrome) or polyps going on. Unless the vet did blood work as well as x-rays, there's really no way to know if something more is going on. A fecal test won't show those things.

Also, it's not unusual for the small amount of blood you're seeing to happen after a dog has had diarrhea/loose stools for an amount of time...minute tears in the rectum or irritation from the defecating can easily cause that to happen.

I'm sorry that you're feeling frustrated, but often when a dog has ongoing diarrhea, it can take a while for it to clear up. You can talk to your vet about getting him started on something like Flagyl to see if that helps.