Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Recently my dog is being sick quite alot after drinking water,

Customer Question

Recently my dog is being sick quite alot after drinking water, she has always been quick a sicky dog but just recently (past 2-3 months) she is being sick much more often, what could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-lxlbk3ks~

Is it just with the water, or does she vomit after eating as well?

What breed is she?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is a Collie cross, she is sometime sick after eating, but mostly it is after drinking water, i wondered if getting food/water bowls on stands would help
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions.

There's actually some controversy about raised bowls these days. Some experts believe that they're no better...and could be worse than the bowls on the floor, so for now, I'd skip using them.

Because this has been going on for pretty much ever, my first thought would be that she's got some sort of regurgitation problem that is caused either by something out of whack in her digestive tract, or possibly from a doggy form of acid reflux.

The first thing I would do would be to call your vet and discuss it with him to see if he thinks there's anything in your pups past medical history that could be causing this to happen. They may want to have her in to do a quick medical evaluation, just to rule out anything other than reflux and because of her age, that's probably not a bad idea..just to be on the safe side. You can also ask them if they think starting her on something like Prilosec would be a good idea to help control the amount of acid she produces.

While you wait to hear from the vet, there are a couple things you can try: try giving her her food spread out on a baking sheet, instead of in a bowl. If she's gagging because she's eating too quickly, then spreading the food out will force her to slow down to eat. You can also add ice cubes to her water bowl to slow down how quickly she drinks...this will help with the vomiting, but it won't cure the'll just help with the symptoms.

I hope this helps.