Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.

My dog is either trying to vomit or is coughing with nothing

My dog is either trying to vomit or is coughing with nothing coming up, she is laying down and having normal bowel movements. This started this morning. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer! I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.

What type of dog? How old?

Is she eating and drinking OK?

Has she been around any new dogs lately (dog park, doggie daycare, boarding, etc)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me, i just realized I left all the important details out......

-English Black Lab
-8-9 month old

I fed her the normal amount of 1.5 - 2 cups of a mix of Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and Eukenuba's Salmon and Rice.

She drank a few times through out the day, I don't recall her drinking anything after 3pm. It's about midnight now. She has been sleeping like normal since about 8pm.

No in the new dog department. She's been at home the last few days.

When she did cough something up it was white and foamy, and mainly just mucus.

When I took her out today and tossed the ball to her and running around seemed to upset it.

My first thought was kennel cough. Often times it sounds like they are choking and the do end up coughing up white, foamy stuff. They do not have to have gone to a kennel to catch it. They can get it just by smelling another dog in Petsmart or walking down the street.

Have you seen a dog with kennel cough before? Check out these links and let me know if she sounds like this:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Very similar! Her's doesn't sound very dry, but it does take about two to three coughs to try and vomit.
Well, in a young dog like her, I think it is the most likely thing that could be going on. I would recommend you get her to a vet tomorrow for an exam as she will likely need antibiotics and maybe a cough suppressant.

Usually they recover just fine with no real problems!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions!