Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

11 yr. old female shih tzu - around eyes is bleeding!!

Customer Question

My 11 year old female shih tzu has skin allergies and scratching so badly and now around her eyes is bleeding! She has done taking her antibiotics due to ear infection and regarding the itching, our Vet said it is chronic. What should we do?  Should we give her human allergy medication?  And now around her eyes is bleeding. So worried. HELP! Much appreciated!!! Thank You!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.
Hello.

It does sound like allergies. It sounds like she either scratched herself to the point of bleeding or she may have a bad case of conjunctivitis causing the bleeding.

Your best option is to get her seen where injectable steroids and Benadryl can be given.

If you want to try something at home first, then you can try giving over the counter oral Benadryl. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb every 6-8 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.