How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18963
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog swallowed ibuprofen. One pill. What do I do

Customer Question

My dog swallowed ibuprofen. One pill. What do I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been with Just Answer since 2006. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

 

If this just occurred in the last hour or two you could induce vomiting and attempt to retrieve it and see how much has already been absorbed. Instructions on inducing vomiting can be found here.

http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/inducevom.htm

 

The toxic dosage of ibuprofen is 50mg per pound to cause stomack ulceration problems. To cause kidney issues, the dosage would be 150mg per pound. You can read more on this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ibuprofen-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx

 

You can use this to determine if there is a chance your dog ingested enough to cause stomach or kidney issues. These are things that are not immediately evident but can show up later. I hope this information is helpful to you.