Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

What is wrong if your dog wont eat, drinks water alot but spits

What is wrong if your dog wont eat, drinks water alot but spits it up, is restless and lethargic, shifting his position constantly, has slightly lowered body temperature, goes outside and wants to lay on ground cover and not come in, is not wanting to be held, wants to drink alot but cant keep it down, is increasingly restless and seems weak
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear how he is doing.
Of course, without some basic testing like abdominal x-rays or a blood profile, I can just make some educated guesses.

My primary concerns for causes would include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination:
1. Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 5 to 10mg. A typical cat gets ¼ tablet of the 10mg tablet.

2. Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.25 to 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 5 to 10mg.

3. Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

4. Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Very concerning about the water coming up afterwards. One of the above medications might help a bit, but well worth veterinary examination.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns, please contact an emergency facility.
I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:

or, begin a question with Dr. Andy and I will see it when online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well we told dr he wasnt settling, was more resless in his position slight shifts constantly, and.increasing lethargy...after hydration ubder the skin , no better , advised to give him the night, and in the am feed a little rice, see if it stays down so we went to sleep watching him every hour and.i thought he got weaker didnt lift leg to pea dr said wait in middle of night he was extremely.more weak and I picked him up to go.to a.imal medical emergency center....he laid on my lap and 5 min into theXXXXXhe syopped breathing... He.was gone we went tbere.they said was.gone. The one thing I.forhot.in previous message was tha in initial exam dr also found tiny bit of blood on thermometer but said was nothing I feared that ebery thing together was serious. Espevially knowing my dog his.behavior and how different all this was. Please help us.understand what could have happpened whT did he.possibly have bloods and xrays should.have.been done.i believe.... But what could hsve been going on he eas a.lively spevial happy boy before suddenly died, didnt make it to the next morning
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
I am very sorry for your loss.
As mentioned in previous answer, absolutely I would have recomended a blood test and probably the abdominal x rays as well.

At 7 years of age, these tests were important.

The rectal blood could have simply been some colitis, but could have also represented a complication of a foreign body, toxin exposure, or coagulopathy.

I am sorry.
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you we are broken hearted an extremely upset with dr denying need for the tests at first waitng a day despite our visit and follow up calls because of our concern didnt.move he from waiting a day which proved fatal We felt she did not really think or take our list ofconcerns seriously enough.Only other q is if you have ideas for a great vet / highly reccommmended one in eastern nassau/western suffolk counties (L.I.) NYThank you
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I am on the West Coast, so can't recommend anyone specific. It is simply a trial and error. You have to meet a vet or two, watch their examination, see if they ask a few questions....or do they simply rush through their exam.

If there personality is not what you are looking for, then keep looking...