Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I read beans, legumes, and lentils are not good for dogs. Can

I read beans, legumes, and lentils are not good for dogs. Can you confirm and tell me why? I don't want to feed them to my dogs if they aren't good for them.

These are all fine in small amounts and if cooked.Legumes such as soy products and beans contain phytate, which inhibits the digestion and absorption of other nutrients including important minerals. If you're going to feed legumes of any kind, make sure they're well-cooked, because that does help break down the phytate.

Some beans can also cause gas in dogs just like in humans.

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions

Soaking the beans is fine but it is the cooking process that breaks down the phytates
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know that. I meant I soak them first, then cook them. Thank you for your answer. It was helpful.

You are very welcome.

Have a great rest of your weekend