Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.

My dog has an ear infection, amoxicillin 250mg/5ml what is

My dog has an ear infection, amoxicillin 250mg/5ml what is the dosage for a 70lb dog.....I have given her a dose of revolution thinking it might help with the scratching and chewing of her skin that shes been experiencing the past couple of months,but so far no change.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer! I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.

I'm sorry but systemic, oral antibiotics do not work to clear up ear infections.

You need to take her to a vet and find out what is growing in the ear. It is either going to be yeast, bacteria or a combination of them. If there is a yeast infection, antibiotics will not help.

Vinegar and water is not a good solution to clean the ears with when they have an active infection. You need to get an ear cleaner that is made for the pH of a dog's ear and one that is tailored for what type of infection is in the ear.

The amoxicillin you have by the way is a low concentration. She would need to take ALOT of it .......

Do you have a vet you can take her to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes,I have a vet but am unable to take her in right now, I just started a new job after being unemployed for the past year so its going to be at least 2-3 weeks before I can get her in to be seen unfortunately. Ive just been trying what I can here until I can get her seen. Yes I figured it would be about 12-15 ml
You can give the Amoxi if you want but I can guarantee you it won't work. Her dose would be 12 ml by mouth every 12 hours.

I understand your situation but I can tell you that it likely won't get better with the oral antibiotics. Can you at least get an ear cleaner that is made for dogs? This is the one I would use. You have to buy it online but you don't need a prescription.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11836259

The other thing you need to do is make sure you are cleaning the ear correctly. You may want to consult a Youtube video on how to clean a dog's ear. If you don't get the solution to fill up the entire ear canal and then massage the ear canal to help break up the wax/infection then it won't clear up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The stuff in her ears is black kind of tarry and has a sweet smell to it if that helps at all. I will try to find that ear cleaner here as I am in Canada and it would cost a fortune to have it come across the border.
Usually black and tarry is a yeast infection but it doesn't usually smell "sweet". Yeast has a distinctive smell.

I would suggest just going to any pet store and buying any ear cleaner made for dogs. Clean the ears every day until you can get her to the vet. It may or may not help depending on what is actually growing in the ears.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Hinson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.