Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My mini dachshund is in labor with her first litter. What do

My mini dachshund is in labor with her first litter. What do I watch for to be sure her labor is progressing and puppies are not in distress. She did not eat all day, and has been restless, with increased signs of starting labor. ie... circling alot in her birthing box, and yelping. How long is too long before she tires out?

Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.Each answer is typed individually so please allow me a few minutes after your reply.

Have you noticed any contractions or pushing?

Was she seen by a vet for x rays to see how many pups there are and if the were small enough to pass through the pelvis?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I think so on contractions...since those are the times she yelps or whines.
She was not seen by a vet for x-rays. There are at least two because I have felt kicking on both sides of her belly from two "lumps".

Thank you for the additional informations.

The yelping and whining does not necessary mean she is having full contractions yet. What you want to do is watch the stomach and the sides for signs of contractions.

If she is not having contractions yet then she may still be in the first stage of labor which can last up to 12 hours.

She is really young so you may find she has difficulty giving birth, she may not know how to break the sack and in that case you will have to do it for her and she may not produce enough milk or may not be interested in caring for them. All of these problems are common in a young dog so you want to watch for them.

If she is having contractions and actively pushing for 1 hour with no pups being born then this warrants a vet visit to be sure the pups are not to big to pass through the pelvis which is a common problem for small breed dogs.

Here are some good articles that will go over every stage of labor and tell you exactly what to expect at each stage as well as give warning signs that something is wrong.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_giving_birth_to_puppies.html

http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

I would review both.

I hope all goes well and she has happy healthy pups.Please reply back if you have additional questions

Candy