Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

my dog ate one half pill of arthrotec. will it hurt him?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

What is the weight of your dog?

How long ago was this ingested?

What was the strength of the medication?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he ingested it last night abour 5pm, he weighs 95 pounds. he has thrown up after eating his 'breakfast' and then 'dinner' tonight. he seems full of energy and nothing else seems wrong with him
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Since it has been 24 hours at this point we need to treat the symptoms which is the vomiting. I would start the dog on a 10mg Pepcid to help sooth the stomach. Once the dog can hold food down which most likely will be another 12 hours, start him on a bland diet of Skinless chicken breast boiled 1 part to 3 parts white rice. the medication is a Nsaid and can upset the stomach and cause gastrointestinal distress and even Gi bleeding. We need to calm the stomach befor putting anything eles into it. If he will drink without vomiting, then I would leave water down, if not, then use ice cubes. the Pepcid can be given every 12 hours. In the am try the bland diet. Please watch the stools for dark tarry stools or blood as that can indicate a GI bleed. If you notice that and the vomiting does not stop, then an ER visit will be needed. If the Pepcid seems to help then start the bland diet for a few days, but please follow up with your Vet when open on Monday. Joan