Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog ate afrin

Customer Question

My dog ate afrin
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. Are you referring to the nasal decongestant spray?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes she ate the nasal decongestant. She ingested about a half ounce. She is 70 pounds. Side effects, are white gums low energy. She keeps throwing up the water she drinks

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Treatment for ingestion of this drug, is mostly symptomatic and supportive -- but with white gums, I'm very worried about poor circulatory status, and if veterinary care is available in your area, that would be the smartest choice you could make. Now, in most cases of Afrin ingestion, signs will resolve by 24 hours, but depending on how severely the dog is affected, the issue can be life threatening.

If veterinary care is not available, you'll have to do the best you can with keeping her comfortable, and hydrated as best as possible. There's no over the counter remedy or other home treatment available.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her gums are very pale pink. I've actually seen them like that before, which worried me previously but normally they are a lot more pink. She seems very tired but I don't know if that's just because she isn't feeling well. Is there any more serious signs I should look out for? She seems like she just wants to sleep. Her body does not feel as warm as normal and her nose is not as wet as it normally is. Just wanted to give you some more sympotoms to be more clear. Thank you for your help please let me know what you think. I would also like to mention she ingested this about 4-5 hours ago. It was 1/2 afrin 1/2 saline solution.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
The signs we worry about include low heart rate and low blood pressure, and these are usually corrected in the veterinary clinic setting with appropriate drugs. The signs of these issues are as you are describing -- pale gums, sleepiness, cold skin.