Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog ran into a glass door very hard and since has occassionally

Customer Question

My dog ran into a glass door very hard and since has occassionally been having "turns" such as shaking and falling over when the "turn" is subsiding her head turns from side to side.
Blood test shows high level white cells and heamaglobin (not sure of spelling) is this caused by the accident?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

How long ago did this happen?

Did the specialist do an MRI or CT scan on the head?

Are her eyes moving quickly from side to side or up and down?

Does she walk around with her head tilted to one side?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About 3 months ago
No the specialist has not done MRI or CT scan on the head as they feel it is not to do with the accident.
Her eyes appear to be vacant, but have not noticed moving quickly, but after the episode yesterday her purples were dialated.

She only had one episode of walking around in circles, but did not appear to have her head tilted, but appeared that she was lost.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the information. You mentioned an episode yesterday. I didn't see you mentioning that in your initial post. What was the episode?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Shaking, could not stand, head was moving from side to side which lasted 15 mins while I had her - raced her to the vet specialist and she was admitted to hospital and placed on a drip. The Vet said her purples were dialated and gums were red. She appeared to be frightened, but that is the stare that she gets when having these turns.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. If these issues started after her impact with the glass, that was most likely the inciting cause. To me at least, it sounds like her neurologic issue are central, meaning brain or spinal cord. It sounds very much like an issue with the brain. Damage to the inner ear canal, causing vestibular problems, is very possible, but I wander if there was a serious brain contusion that caused some damage, and what you are seeing is actually a type of seizure. If she is normal between episodes, that is most likely the case. It would really help to get an MRI or CT scan on the head, but I would see if putting her on any anti-seizure medications may help. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would this also affect her blood count as in her white cell count being high and also her heamaglogin count high as well
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
It is possible. It just depends on how high they are. With mild elevations, you can usually ignore the elevations. It is hard to say because the values are very non-specific for most processes. Hope this helps.