Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog ate a cooked ham shank bone. (36 hours ago) she has

My dog ate a cooked ham shank bone. (36 hours ago) she has vomied small bone pieces and has loose pooh. No temp. no lethargy. What should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Hello,I am so sorry your little one is having trouble.

There are a few possible causes for what you are seeing. If she is vomiting pieces of bone there is a risk that a larger piece of bone has become lodged in the digestive tract resulting in a blockage. This is the main reason that bones are not recommended.

A blockage that is left in place can result in severe infection, partial loss of the intestines and even death.Pieces of bone can also perforate the intestines and stomach wall as well. Cooked bones are even more dangerous as they tend to splinter more often then raw bones

Here is more on this

Pork products( especially ham) should be avoided due to the high salt content and pork is a leading cause of pancreatitis which can also become very serious even life threating if not addressed promptly

Because she is vomiting pieces of bone I would suggest getting her into see the vet today so x rays can be done to be sure there is not a blockage. If everything looks good on x ray your vet may recommend blood work to check the pancreas and sodium levels.

I hope she does ok, please reply back if you have additional questions