Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My 4 month old puppy has been throwing up tonight. To give

Customer Question

My 4 month old puppy has been throwing up tonight. To give some background, I realized earlier on in the night that he had pooped and eaten it (something we haven't been able to break him of yet). Earlier in the day he also got into a potted plant and tried to eat some of the soil.

The first time that he threw up it looked very much like the poop he had eaten. While we were cleaning it up he threw up a second time. The vet had told us during an earlier visit that if he throws up we should not give him any food or water for a couple of hours to see if he continues to throw up....so I took away his water. He's been trying to throw up again several more times but the only that comes out is white and bubbly and he just licks it right up before we can get it cleaned up. He seems very active and hyper at the moment despite constantly heaving. He wants to run around and even play! I know that I should keep an eye on him but is there anything that I can do to help him feel better?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been with Just Answer since 2006. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

When was the last time he ate?

Are his vaccinations all up to date?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The last time that he ate was a chew stick about 8 pm, right now it's almost 2 am. Before that, he had his dinner at 5 pm.

He completed all of his shots 2 weeks ago including rabies and last round of distemper.

Happy to provide any more info!

JaCustomer,

First off let me tell you that for puppies, you should stay away from rawhides and pig ears. These can be swallowed in large pieces and lead to intestinal obstructions. Symptoms of an intestinal obstruction would be vomiting, an inability to defecate and loss of appetite. You can read more on this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If the chew stick was rawhide, then many vets will recommend giving it a day to see if it softens and moves through the system on its own. For other non food items that might be ingested, it is recommended that the puppy be seen immediately if you suspect an obstruction. This is because the longer a blockage exists, the higher the chance of permanent injury to the intestines.

That said, your pup may have initially vomited due to ingestion of fecal matter. The subsequent vomiting may be due to an empty stomach and excess bile. A whitish or yellowiish vomit is sometimes due to excess bile. We frequently see this in dogs that are not eating or first thing in the morning after a dog has not eaten in some times. You can give your pup some pepcid. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Give the pepcid about 45 minutes to work and then offer a small portion of boiled chicken and rice. If the pup does well, then you can slowly add regular food to the mixture and decrease the rice mixture until the pup is back on regular food.

We do recommend withholding food if a dog is vomiting, but I would not do that with an isolated instance of vomiting. Dogs vomit for many different reasons including parasites, an unusual treat, severe protozoan infections might cause vomiting, excess bile, poisoning and pancreatitis to name some. In some cases fasting is recommended such as pancreatitis. In others, switching to a bland diet like the chicken and rice might help. If your pup continues to vomit, put a drop of karo or pancake syrup on your pup's tongue to keep the blood sugar levels up and prevent hypoglycemia. You can read about that here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If your pup does not seem to be improving then I would have your pup seen. He should be protected against diseases like Parvovirus, but with repeated vomiting he can become dehydrated quickly and might need rehdration. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After heaving two times with no throw up left, he's fallen asleep. Since it is 2 am here I am guessing that the recommendation of boiled chicken and rice if for the morning...? Before he fell asleep he was looking for his water in his usual place but I had taken it away, should I allow him to drink water for the rest of the night?

Thank you for such a through answer, it's very helpful to me.

JaCustomer,

I would allow water to prevent dehydration. You might put down ice rather than water so he won't drink too much at one time. The ice will melt slowly and thus help regulate how much he drinks at one time.

Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a follow-up question. I gave my puppy a few drops of water last night and he threw it right up. He threw up several times after that but since there was nothing left in his stomach all that came out was foamy and varied between white and yellow. This morning when he woke up he was desperately searching for anything to eat or drink. We made him boiled white rice and I gave him 3 little grains of it.....he threw up. My question is this: should I still attempt the pepcid, wait and give him rice or does his throwing up seem not just a typical upset stomach and I should take him to the emergency vet?

(Also, there are no hacking sounds so I don't think it's a question of something being lodged anywhere. The problem seems to be with his stomach.)

JaCustomer,

At this point, since he is continuing to vomit everything, he needs to be seen immediately. At his age, vomiting like this is quite serious and he is in danger of becoming dehydrated. I'd have him seen immediately. I believe I did mention last night that if he did not seem to be improving he would need to be seen immediately.