Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

My dogs hair wont grow back after a lion cut. We think

My dog's hair won't grow back after a 'lion cut'. We think he is a pomeranian but he is an anonymous surrender so can't be sure (3lbs, ~8 years old.) Slightly elevated thyroid. No other anomalies. We have tried the peppermint oil shampoos/conditioners. Is there anything else we could be doing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

Pomeranians are one of the breeds that commonly suffer from a condition called Alopecia X. What that really means is that their hair stops growing or falls out for no apparent reason. There is a genetic, or inherited, link to the problem. It is usually related to a hormone imbalance, but the condition is generally not well understood. Sometimes it can’t be treated, and the dog just has to live with it.

However, I don’t think you’ve exhausted all the options yet in possible treatments. You’ve had bloodwork done. Urinalysis and a skin biopsy may also give information on possible causes. Once all of that testing is completed, if no cause is found, you are most likely dealing with Alopecia X.

If your dog isn’t neutered yet, that will be the next step in trying to help him. Slightly less than half of male pomeranians with Alopecia X, re-grew hair after being neutered. You can read more about that, and why it is thought to help, at this site:

If the dog has already been neutered, you may want to see a specialist, such as a veterinary dermatologist or endocrinologist. Specialists are usually on staff at veterinary teaching hospitals. This link will take you to a directory of such hospitals that will help you fine the nearest one:

This link will take you to a directory of veterinary dermatologists:

If you want to read more about alopecia X, the following site has information:

You may also want to give him some vitamin E and some omega 3 supplements (fish oil, preferably salmon). Some owners of dogs with Alopecia X have found these two supplements keep the skin healthier even if the hair doesn’t grow back. Otherwise, you can be assured that you’re doing all you can. This condition isn’t the result of improper care or something lacking in the diet.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you and your vets will be able to find something that helps.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)