Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I found a lump on my german shepherds back that blends in with

I found a lump on my german shepherds back that blends in with her skin but it feels like a pimple but its been there for a while now. Its hard and she doesn't seem too bothered by it. Is it something I should worry about?

A lump in the skin can be a tumor, cyst, abscess or if we're a little deeper in a different area - a lymph node. More can be learned about this mass by having your vet examine it. They can palpate it and get a better idea of its cause. Most likely the best information will come from placing a needle in it and getting a sample to look at under the microscope. This is a very quick and easy procedure. It is done with a needle the same size as that used for vaccines.

Depending on what type of cells / materials are viewed under the microscope, they then can give their best recommendation as to what to do next. If this aspirate doesn't give a good answer or no answer (which can happen infrequently), they might recommend surgical excision of the mass to determine what it is. This could be also curative as well.

Hopefully this mass is a benign lession like a cyst that just needs to be drained. This isn't something that you have to rush to the ER clinic to tonight for, just get in early in this coming week and your vet will be gland to help you out.

Hope this helps,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The thing is, I have Leukemia and am on a very fixed income from disability so I really only have money at the beginning of the month so I would have to wait until the beginning of October to get her in. Is this an acceptable time or do you think its something I should try and work out sometime this week/early next week? She threw up tonight and hasnt in a long time, which concerns me but otherwise shes playful and hyper just like she always is so I'm just really not sure what the concern level on the matter should be.
With this lump, it isn't something that I would say is an immediate thing to get into the vet for. It would seem very ok to get in at the beginning of October for it. The vomiting here tonight shouldn't be related to this bump.

Why is she having the vomiting could be due to a couple different reasons. It could be due to her having eaten something that is just not sitting well - ate some table scraps, got into the garbage, new food, etc. It could also be due to something being stuck - a foreign body. It could be due to a viral infection. It could be due to other metabolic issues. Being able to tell what of these it is due to requires a physical exam, x-rays, and some blood work. At this time, Why is she having the vomiting could be due to a couple different reasons. It could be due to her having eaten something that is just not sitting well - ate some table scraps, got into the garbage, found something in the yard, new food, etc. It could also be due to something being stuck - a foreign body such as a sock, rock, stick, piece of plastic, etc. It could be due to pancreatitis. It could be due to other metabolic issues such as kidney, liver or adrenal issues. Being able to tell what of these it is due to requires a physical exam, x-rays, and some blood work.

At this time, I'd pull up food and water from her for 10 hours. This literally means nothing - no treats, no food, no sips of water, nothing. Be sure to close toilet lids, pick up other pets water bowls, and monitor if goes outside so nothing can be ate or drank out there. The goal here is to let the stomach rest. If anything is ate or drank during this time, it has a very good chance of upsetting the stomach more. After we get past this time frame of having nothing, then we can start to allow access to water making sure not too much is drank at once. This is done by giving 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup of water every 20 minutes for 1 hour. If no vomiting occurs with this, then after one hour of having the water available, you can start to offer bland food. The bland foods that you can prepare at home pretty easily are boiled hamburger / skinless chicken breast and white rice mixtures. This is prepared by mixing 3/4 cup white rice and 1/4 cup of the boiled hamburger or skinless chicken. You can then give 1 cup of this combination per 20 pounds every 8 to 12 hours. I would over the next couple days then progressively get her back onto her regular food.

The huge hurdle for her to get over is the vomiting. If this continues, if she gets very weak, if she has obvious abdominal pain, or is not starting to eat and drink after 24 hours - she absolutely needs a veterinary exam. She at that point hasn't responded to at home care and needs a physical exam and testing to see what further therapy is needed. I hope this helps!!