Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Dog

MY DOG IS NOT EATING AND DRINKING ALOT OF WATER AND PEEING

ALOT, SHE DID EAT A... Show More
ALOT, SHE DID EAT A STEAK CUT UP BUT NO DOG FOOD. WE TOOK HER TO A VET AND THEY DID ALL KINDS OF TEST THAT COST ME AROUND $500 BUT NEVER PAID ATTENTION TOI THE KIDNEYS I AM WORRIED THIS IS GOING ON ABOUT A WEEK
Category: Dog
replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-8nmipz1b~

Did they test her for diabetes?

Did they do blood work?

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
i dont think they did diabeties check they did do a urinealysis and yes they did do blood woirk
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions. If they did bloodwork, then they likely checked her kidney function when they did the blood work.

In older dogs, the first thing I think of when I hear that they're drinking a lot of water is that they could be diabetic. Polyuria (increased urination) and polydipsia (increased drinking) are two of the hallmark signs for diabetes.

The symptoms you describe: polydipsia (excessive water drinking) of course can be due to a number of different causes. The most common causes of PU/PD in dogs include kidney disease, Cushing's disease (excessive blood cortisol levels), and diabetes mellitus (excessive blood glucose levels). In an 8 year old dog, any one of these disease processes could be occurring.

Getting her to your vet for a thorough physical examination and blood work is the best thing you can do. Try to collect a urine sample as well so that your vet can evaluate kidney function and look for signs of urinary tract infection. Since your dog is a female, allow your dog to begin urinating and when you are sure she is peeing you can slip a shallow bowl or soup ladle into the urine stream to catch your sample. Put the urine in a clean, dry container and refrigerate until your vet appointment. It's best if the sample is less than 24 hours old.

Other possible causes for PU/PD include inflammation of the prostate (rare in a neutered male), liver problems, or diabetes insipidus (a disorder of water metabolism in which part of the brain does not secrete the hormone which tells the kidneys to re-absorb water, or the kidneys do not respond to the hormone). In addition, there is a condition called psychogenic polydipsia which means the excessive water drinking is all in his head. If he exhibits other symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea or lethargy, other causes should also be investigated. Blood work often helps narrow the field.

I hope this helps!!

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
this is a female dog
Yes, I saw that. I added the 'neutered male' part just as a for future reference type thing.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
she is not eating either, just the steak i feed her
Diabetes can affect them when it comes to eating. The fact that she did eat a little steak is encouraging, but I would absolutely call your vet first thing in the morning and ask them to do some more testing.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
thank you the vets ordered a complete urinalysis but its gives some answers what would i look for (wording) if diabetes was tested for

You're very welcome...I hope everything works out.

If I've helped, please take a second and press the green 'accept' button..it's the only way I get credit for my work. Thanks alot...and I hope the vet is able to figure out what is going on with her!!