Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

One of my dogs eyes is weeping a whitish grey goop and the

One of my dog's eyes is weeping a whitish grey goop and the white part of the eye is red. It doesn't seem to bother him at all...no pawing, scratching, or rubbing of his face. There's no crusty build up. I've been giving him an oral antihistamine for about 2 days. The goop coming out of the eye has lessened a bit but the eye is still red. This is the 3rd day. I was going to wait til Monday and take him to the vet if it hasn't cleared up yet. What do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Is he squinting the eye like it is sensitive to light?

Have you tried flushing the eye in case there is something stuck in it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just brought him out into the sun and he didn't seem to be squinting at all, but now he has a little goop under his other eye as well. It comes out only from the corner of the eyes near the snout. I haven't tried flushing. I'm not really sure how to go about doing that, but i didn't really think there was something in it just because he wasn't pawing at it at all.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

It sounds like allergic conjunctivitis or viral conjunctivitis.

You can get some eye saline flush at the drug store. Just flush both eye thoroughly with the saline liquid.

You can also try human antihistamine eye drops. You can try the "zyrtec" brand eye drops for allergies. They sell them at all the grocery stores and drug stores now. Put one drop in each eye twice a day as needed.

Keep using the oral antihistamine as well. You can use it long term without problems.

If it is allergic conjunctivitis, you need to keep treating him until allergy season is over.

If it is viral conjunctivitis, it should resolve in 7-10 days.

Conjunctivitis is inflammation of the pink fleshy tissue that is under the eye lids.

If the drainage turns yellow-green, then he should see a vet because that means he has a bacterial infection and needs an antibiotics.

If the white drainage does not respond to symptomatic treatment, he should see a vet because he could have blocked tear ducts or he could have a problem with his tear glands where they are not making enough tears.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.