Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 8 week old chihuahua puppy scoots his butt across the floor,

Customer Question

My 8 week old chihuahua puppy scoots his butt across the floor, I'm planning on getting him into the vet for his first shots. Is the butt scooting a sign of worms? And how old should they be before their first series of shots? I'm new to the puppy process, so am somewhat unclear about when to take him in. I think I'm a paranoid parent, not sleeping well because I need to make sure he is ok haha!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry your little one has you worried.

Scooting in a pup this age is most likely due to worms tape worms being the most common cause.

A pup should have their first set of shots at 8 weeks so I would schedule his appointment as soon as possible to get him started.

He will need a total of 3 sets of shots done 4 weeks apart. The vet will deworm at each of these appointments as well. Make sure you let the vet know he is scooting as we do not normally deworm for tape worms unless there is a problem.

Until he has all of his shots keep him close to home no dog parks or walks through the neighborhood until he has at least 2 of his Parvo vaccines.

Be sure he is getting fed 4 times per day as pups this young can not regulate their blood glucose levels if they go to long without eating resulting in hypoglycemia

Here is information on this

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns