Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My male dog pees all over the house. Even if I take him outside

My male dog pees all over the house. Even if I take him outside and I see him pee he still might come inside and squirt somewhere else. He has peed on walls, doors, couch backs, refrigerator-you name it. Spraying with deterrents doesnt help. I work extended hours and I have a doggy door to the back yard so he can go out at any time. He is 2 yrs old. How do I get him to stop. I have tried putting him in a kennel, but I work so long that this is not a good idea. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been with Just Answer since 2006. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Is he neutered?

Does he do this when you are not home?

Does he do it in front of you?

Has he always done this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes he is neutered. He does this when I am gone as well as when I am home. I have even caught him in the act right in front of me. I have 2 other dogs as well. My other male occasionally has an accident but not so much. My daughter moved home with her chihauhua pup. Things got worse when she got here. She is a female but is also spayed.

Hi ,

It sounds like he is marking his territory more than just urinating in the house. The first thing to do is to clean anything he has urinated on with a high quality ENZYMATIC cleaner. Other cleaners fool our noses but not a dog's nose. You also need the enzymatic cleanser to soak into any carpet or fabric type objects being cleaned. That is the first step.

There isn't much you can do to deter him marking when you are not home, so crating is about your only option while you are not home. Another option is to have the crate open and the opening of the crate against the doggie door leading outside. This set up would prevent him from eliminating inside but still allow him to go outside. Now since you have other dogs, that might not be feasible either.

If he hasn't had a medical checkup lately, you should have him checked for a medical condition such as a urinary tract infection. This sometimes causes frequent inappropriate urination.

If it turns out not to be a medical issue, then he is marking his territory. You will need to teach your dog not to lift his leg except for urination.

First step will be keeping a leash on him at all times, even in the house when he is not in his crate if you have a crate. If you don't have a crate, I suggest you get one for training purposes. If you can not keep a close eye on him, he should be in his crate or an enclosed area with pads down. While you are watching him, each time he starts to lift his leg inappropriately, you will want to give him a quick short tug on the leash and say "NO" in a LOW TONE, FIRM but not necessarily loud voice.

If you think he might have to urinate, take him outside. You will have to do this consistently. When he urinates or marks an appropriate object outside, praise him highly. If he has a favorite object he's been marking, and you notice him smell it but pass it by, praise him for not marking it. You can also give a very small treat. With the short tug of correction along with the NO, he will quickly realize what NO means if he doesn't already know. High tones of voice and yells have the opposite affect on dogs. Dogs think that loud high-pitched noises signal play, while low toned voices are commands. Dogs yip and bark when playing, but growl deep in the throat to warn or correct. Thus the reason for a low toned firm command.

Practice this all the time, and it shouldn't be too long before he stops marking in the house. Then take the leash off. Still watch him closely. You might notice him sniff at an object and turn and look at you to see if you noticed he didn't mark it. If he does, call him to you and praise him. If he tries to mark, a No should now stop him. If you are consistent, your dog will learn that marking inside is not acceptable.

It is a lot of work, but pays off in the long run. I hope this information is helpful to you.