Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

Our dog has an open wound on her belly that she is licking

Customer Question

Our dog has an open wound on her belly that she is licking about the size of a quarter. She doesn't want to come out of her doghouse, and doesn't have the appetite she usually has.

It may related, that about a week ago, she punctured her paw on a wood shard, that went straight through the paw. We removed the shard, and she was limping for a day or two, but that seems to be fine now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 years ago.

Sally Grott :

hello and welcome to just answer. What breed of dog do you have ?

Sally Grott :

the age is six years or months?

Sally Grott :

Are there puncture wounds or is it just an open wound?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 years ago.
since there was no response from you I assumed you are offline. we can continue this way.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 years ago.
I see you have gone off line. When a dog licks one area they can produce a wound from the wetness and the bacteria in the mouth . These are called hot spots and many breeds get them. The dog constantly licks or scratches in one area creating a sore. It may start out the size of a penny then grow to a quarter size and bigger if not treated. With hot spots you need to wash the area several times a day with antibiotic soap, dry well, and apply a triple antibiotic ointment on the wound. Put an e collar on the dog so she can't reach the site to lick. IT may be though, at this time that the dog needs an oral antibiotic as licking can cause a deep bacterial infection so if you do not see any difference when washing and putting ointment on it then see your vet for oral antibiotics You also want to be sure that the sore is not from a puncture wound from another animal so you need to get the dog out of the dog house and bring her inside to heal. The fact that she is not eating much could be symptoms of many things from stomach upset to heat, to infection in the body.