Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

6 year old male English Bulldog...foaming at the mouth..heavy

6 year old male English Bulldog...foaming at the mouth..heavy breathing..hard time walking
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I would love to help I just have a few additional questions. After your reply please allow a few minutes for me to type your answer.

How long has this been going on?

Any chance he got into something toxic?

Any shaking?

Is he responsive?

Any head tilt or rapid eye movement?

What color are his gums?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one hour to one and a half hour, nothing toxic..a little shaking...very light pink gums no head tilting
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Sorry I need some additional information so I can try to narrow down the possibilities

Can you explain how he is walking?

Is his stomach harder or larger then normal?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is lying down right now...stagering before...sitting on his hind legs...tummy is harder and larger then normal sorry for the spelling mistakes,,I am just crying now me not the dog,,,
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Ok thank .

He needs to be seen by a vet immediately.

My first two thoughts with these symptoms is either a bleed in the spleen or problems with the heart.

The pale gums hard stomach and difficulty walking often indicate a mass on the spleen that is beginning to bleed.

This breed is very prone to problems with the heart and the heavy breathing and hard stomach could be due to fluid building in the abdomen.

I really try not to send owners to the emergency unless absolutely necessary and at this point I think your boy may be in real trouble.

If you need help locating an emergency hospital in your area please provide your zip code.

Please let me know how he is doing I am very worried about him.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Candy..he has stopped foaming at the mouth, but still heavy breathing stomach is a little bigger than normal do I need to go to the ER Thank you so much for your healp!!!!
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.
I would be very afraid to not have him seen. Both of the problems I mentioned above can be fatal very quickly. The heavy breathing tells us he is either in severe pain or having trouble breathing.