Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)
11090950

my dog has a rash on inner thighs like a bad baby rash and

my dog has a rash on inner thighs like a bad baby rash and lower back near tail
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 3 years ago.

Hi
The inner thigh rash is most likely to be a contact dermatitis...that's the classic site for it. This happens when a dog walks over or lies on something that he is allergic to. Most commonly this will be a plant species of some sort so have a think about where he has been lying lately (in the garden) or where you have been walking him.

On the top of the back the most probable cause is fleas. That is the typical area for a flea allergy dermatitis. Have a good look at the skin in that area….you will see the fleas or black grains of flea droppings. Make sure you clean up his environment and use a good anti-flea product like Frontline or Advantage.

To settle the rash down you can dose him with Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) but ensure it is not the combination product (Benadryl Allergy and Sinus). The dose rate is 1-2 mg/lb but do not exceed 40 mg total dose. Any anti-inflammatory or soothing cream will be suitable for the inner thighs. Aloe Vera cream or Vitamin E cream is good. Creams are not so much use along the top of the back where the skin is thicker.

Kindest regards, Peter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did take him with me last week and stayed in a motel which i believe flea or fleas were present but i bathed hin my dogs are not use to fleas so he continues to chew that area. i always gave hin advantagemuti but stopped because recently i was diagnosed with two bad molds due to dental surgery so i sent my dogs urine to real time labs and red this dog came back 'could be fatal' toxins produced by mold and daily he is give 3 mg. lipoceutical glutathione, just wondering if this could cause a rash.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did take him with me last week and stayed in a motel which i believe flea or fleas were present but i bathed him my dogs are not use to fleas so he continues to chew that area there are no fleas but scabbed area which itches. i always gave him advantagemuti but stopped because recently i was diagnosed with two bad molds due to dental surgery so i sent my dogs urine to real time labs and red this dog came back 'could be fatal' toxins produced by mold and daily he is given 3 mg. lipoceutical glutathione, just wondering if this could cause a rash.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did take him with me last week and stayed in a motel which i believe flea or fleas were present but i bathed him my dogs are not use to fleas so he continues to chew that area there are no fleas but scabbed area which itches. i always gave him advantagemuti but stopped because recently i was diagnosed with two bad molds due to dental surgery so i sent my dogs urine to real time labs and red this dog came back 'could be fatal' toxins produced by mold and daily he is given 3 mg. lipoceutical glutathione, just wondering if this could cause a rash. red would go in crawl space cellar and with swab mold tests & air quality tests the cellar was the mold area which is closed down. at that time he had dental surgury to and tumor removed on neck and stapled, exposed wound, so i assume thats why he was affecte from the mold. anyhow since then i'm afraid of chemicals, vaccines etc.he shows no unhealthy signs but was diagnosed as stated above.
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 3 years ago.

Hi again

Allergies to inhaled or ingested compounds can manifest anywhere but when we see a rash on the underside we usually consider a contact dermatitis first. So this occurs when the rash appears just where the patient actually contacts the cause. An inhaled or ingested allergen can occur anywhere on the body but most commonly it will affect all of the body simultaneously.

I’m unable to say if the lipoceutical glutathione is a likely cause. However if the rash suddenly appeared just after you started it then it would be very suspicious! Always think of something that has changed when there is an allergic reaction. I suggest you stop the lipoceutical glutathione and see if it responds.

You must restart the flea control (Advantage). Washing is not an effective way to control fleas. If you allow fleas back into your environment it can take a long time to get rid of them again.

Peter

Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)