Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog is swaying back and forth when she is standing and when

my dog is swaying back and forth when she is standing and when she is laying down. she doesn't want to walk when she is standing, and when she does walk it's as if she has prickles in all of her feet (but she doesn't) she also vomit and large pile of brown paste-like. she is drooling lots.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been with Just Answer since 2006. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Are your dog's eyes moving back and forth?

Is your dog standing with its legs further apart then normal?

Is your dog walking on an angle and can't walk a straight line?

Is your dog holding its head at a tilt?

Is your dog nausea or eating less?

Is there any discharge in her ear?

Any scratching of the ears?

Has she had any bones, rawhides or eaten any non food items ingested?

Is she able to defecate?

Is she eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she seems to stagger a bit when walking a straight line, but i almost have to force her to get up and walk. this all just started this morning. she wont eat her breakfast and she hasn't drank any water. she isn't scratching her ears, her head isn't tilted, no discharge in her ears, her eyes arn't moving back and forth. we were out camping yesterday and didn't get into any people food but was romping around in the bush/creek chewing on sticks which is very normal for her.

I asked the questions about the swaying and eye movement because dogs can develop vestibular disease from old age and ear infections and even growths that affect the vestibular system. Symptoms include standing with legs spread out, swaying, head tilt, abnormal eye movement, walking sideways, falling over and may include vomiting. There are a few things that can cause this condition such as an ear infection, some medications and old age. Here are some great sites on this condition:

However, if your dog was chewing on sticks in the woods, there is the possibility that she has developed an obstruction. You can read about this here:

In addition, sticks can splinter and puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis.

I'm also concerned that she may have ingested something poisonous which is causing the symptoms you see. For the upset stomach, you might try some pepcid. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

However, I really feel your dog needs to be seen by your vet given the incoordination, neurological symptoms and vomiting. I hope this information is helpful to you.