Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog pooped bloody mucus. What should I do Is it serious

My dog pooped bloody mucus. What should I do? Is it serious or maybe something she ate?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I would love to help I just have a few additional questions. After your reply please allow a few minutes for me to type your answer.

How much blood was there?

Has there been any vomiting?

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Any change in diet , new foods, treats or human foods?

When was she last dewormed?

Any history of health problems?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There was about 1/4 cup mucus and that was dark pink in color, so the blood was diluted by the mucus.

I do believe she has had small patches of vomit a couple of times in the past month or so, (I have 2 dogs so it's hard to know who did what).

She seems to have a healthy appetite, eats 1/2 can of moist dog food a day, dry dog food availale all day and water available all day. I haven't watched her eat, we have a friend feed the dogs while we're at work.

The only thing different is some dog biscuits that I had in the cupboard for about a couple of months when I switched treats, I put them aside when the softer bacon-type treats were being offered and just brought them out again.

No real human food to speak of, she likes to lick the plate of eggs but not much is left to "eat".

I know that both dogs need to have physicals and I can't tell you the last time they were "dewormed", maybe 2 years ago.

I don't know of any health problems to speak of. Theyve had flea issues and skin problmes due to fleas but I've kept the Advantage on them monthly and haven't noticed excessive scratching since.

I appreciate your advice and look forward to your reply.

Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are a few possible causes for mucus stool that contains blood.

*Eating something new that has upset the digestive tract

* Intestinal parasites not just worms but microscopic parasites as well such as coccidia and giardia.

Here is more on parasites

*Colitis and IBD

* Bacterial or fungal infection

* A more serious problem would be a condition called HGE this normally produces large amounts of bloody jelly like stool or just straight blood. With this problem the dogs is normally acting ill, That said this can develop very quickly so you want to keep an eye out for any additional problem like vomiting blood

Here is more on this

As long as she is eating and otherwise acting normal it would be ok to watch her for the next 24 hours.

I would feed a bland diet for the next 48 hours of boiled chicken and rice. This is easily digested and the rice will help with the stool.You can use pieces of chicken for treats but no dog treats for 24 hours

If the diarrhea continues longer then 24 hours, she stops eating or begins vomiting I would have her seen by the vet and have the stool tested for parasites.

I hope all goes well, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns