Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)
11090950

If a dog has heart worms, can his stomach swell up from fluid

If a dog has heart worms, can his stomach swell up from fluid and his kidneys shut down before he dies, and all this happen in a 2 week period from him acting fine and running around great.

Hi

I’m sorry to hear how ill your dog is.

This simple answer to your question is “yes”. Heartworm infestation in dogs can lead to heart failure and heart failure can result in fluid accumulation. This is called oedema. The oedema can occur in a variety of sites with heartworm disease. It is not always a feature but often it is. The fluid accumulation can occur in the abdominal cavity, so that is not technically the stomach but the overall appearance will be that it is.

I hope your vet is able to stabilise his condition.

Good luck, regards, Peter