Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

Do dogs need their teeth cleaned If so what age What is

Do dogs need their teeth cleaned? If so what age? What is the average cost?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. Teeth cleaning is necessary for most dogs at least every few years, though smaller breed dogs may need this done every 6 to 12 months, just like a person, to prevent secondary periodontal disease. Usually it's clear after looking at the teeth and gums, if a cleaning is needed -- healthy teeth are white, with no yellow/brown/green buildup, and healthy gums should not bleed when touched, and should be a nice pink color, not red.

The cost for a routine uncomplicated cleaning is usually in the $200-300 range in most areas. Extractions will add to the cost significantly, if needed.