Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

I got human shampoo in my dogs eye and its red and swollen

I got human shampoo in my dogs eye and its red and swollen and hes squinting .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

You can flush the eyes out with some Sterile Saline solution that is used for contct lens wearers. This will help soothe the eyes. There is not too much that can be done other than what you have already done and using the saline eye drops without presrvatives. The Vet if you see him in the AM may give something stronger for the eyes, but for now we can only use cool compresses across the eyes and plain saline eye drops in the eyes. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

There is nothing other than rinsing the eyes with saline solution and use a cool towel over the eyes to reduce swelling that can be done to help your dog at home.The next step would be a Vet visit tonight to have the Vet flush the eyes, which is the same thing I am having you do with the Sterile saline solution, and then using a cool towel to reduce the swelling. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It wont harm his eye will it ? I usually use dog shampoo but my dog had diahorriah and was all over him and I couldnt find it I feel really bad for doing this .
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

The shampoo has irritated the eyes as it would with a child. The saline will flush and soothe the eyes and the cool towel should bring the swelling down. If you see the Vet in the AM he may give you an ointment to soothe the eyes and they should be fine once it is completely flushed out and had time to clear as long as your dog does not rub the eyes. Joan