Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Is it common for a Yorkie to have asthma or breathing problems

Is it common for a Yorkie to have asthma or breathing problems? How is asthma treated in a dog?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I would love to help I just have a few additional questions. After your reply please allow a few minutes for me to type your answer.

Has he been diagnosed with asthma, if not can you tell me what problems he is having and how long it has been going on.

Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Asthma is no more common in this breed then in others, however asthma in general is not uncommon.

This is normally treated using steroids, antihistamines, and or bronchodilators, . In severe attacks, oxygen therapy may be necessary.

Here is additional information

If he has not been diagnosed with asthma and is having difficultly breathing I would suggest having him seen by a vet to rule out more serious problems.

I hope all goes well, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns