Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Dog ate small block of rat poison. What can I do?

My dog ate a small block of tomcat mouse poison. Within 20 minutes of eating it I gave her hydrogen peroxide and she threw up all the green poison and the last 2 times she threw up it was clear. She is a year old and weighs 55 pounds. Now what do I do? The size of the block she ate was about 1 inch square and 1 1/2 inches long, maybe a ounce.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me what the active ingredient or what tomcat this was (ultra, quickstrike etc)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it was the ultra 1 ounce blocks
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Bromadiolone is the active ingredient. This is a serious anticoagulant and does require veterinary care.

Even though it was vomited up there is still a huge risk of depleting the vitamin K resulting in the dog being unable to clot the blood.

Vitamin K therapy is needed for 14-21 days to prevent any internal bleeding. I would suggest having her seen at your local animal emergency so they can test the blood and get started on the Vitamin K.

I would not put this off. It can take up to 5 days to see any problems however by the time symptoms develop it is often to late to save the dog.

Here is additional information on rat poison

http://www.petmd.com/dog/emergency/digestive/e_multi_anticoagulant_poisoning

I hope she does ok, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy