Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I dont have benadryl in the house, but i do have zyrtec 10

I don't have benadryl in the house, but i do have zyrtec 10 mg , claritin 10 mg, allegra 30 mg, and prednisone 10 mg. My golden doodle 60 lbs, 14 months, dog just stepped in fire ants and is chewing his paws crazy. Can I give him something?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

Benadryl is the drug we usually recommend for allergic reactions and the dosage is 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours. . Claritin and zyrtec have been used in dogs. The following site goes over antihistimines that are used and does give dosage information. I would consult your own vet before giving any medication to your dog besides benadryl.

Remember that many of these drugs have a different formula such as claratin-D. These are not safe for dogs and need to be avoided. You can use ice on the area to help and you should only use for about 5 minutes on and then 5 minutes off to provide some relief. Fire ants not only bite, but sting as well. Baking soda may help on the site as well. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I am unable to obtain benadryl at this time, my children are sleeping and I am unable to go to the store. I was hoping someone could tell me if zyrtec 10 mg, claritin 10 mg, allegra 30-180 mg, or prednisone 10 mg would help my 60 lb dog who just stepped in fire ants.

Allegra or generic Fexofenadine can be used in dogs for allergies. The dose that is used is 2 to 5 mg/kg every 24 hrs. You should start with the lowest dosage first.

Hope this helps.