Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog just ate bird seed and threw up. she is shivering now..

My dog just ate bird seed and threw up. she is shivering now.. should i take her to the vet???
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I would love to help I just have a few additional questions. After your reply please allow a few minutes for me to type your answer.

How much bird seed did she eat and when did this happen?

Did she throw up the bird seed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she ate less then half a cup.. it happened about four hours ago.. and she did throw up the bird seed about 15 minutes ago... shes not shaking so much now... she threw up her dinner and bird seed (she eats at 4). Shes a beagle..
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

The bird seed is not toxic but it can cause serious digestive upset, constipation and in some cases it can result in pancreatitis.The shaking could be due to the stomach upset

If you have Pepcid AC this may help to calm the stomach. This is dosed at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 10lbs of body weight every 12 hours.

I would with hold food for 12 hours After the fast offer a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for the next 24 hours. This is easily digested and will allow the stomach to rest.

If she has any vomiting with the bland diet, refuses to eat or seems painful in the abdomen I would have her seen by a vet.

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy