Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dogs right eye is suddenly drooping and continues to get

My dogs right eye is suddenly drooping and continues to get worse, it's been a day now and I'm not sure why it's getting worse or why it's happening. It is also red
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I would love to help I just have a few additional questions. After your reply please allow a few minutes for me to type your answer.

Is the third eyelid showing?

Is the pupil in this eye the same size as the other eye?

Does the eye appear sunken in ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the third eyelid is showing and it appears sunken in. I can't tell if the pupil is the same size though, she won't give me the chance to get a good look.
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

It sounds like what you may be seeing is a condition called Horners Syndrome.

There can be several causes of this condition and treatment would depend on the cause.

Some cases can be idiopathic meaning there is nor real reason for it and it may resolve on its own in a few weeks.

Other possible cause could be

* Trauma

* infection in the inner ear

* Cancer

*Problems behind the eye

* Nerve disorders of the face

Here is additional information on this

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2105&aid=2478

I do not think this is something you need to rush to the ER for tonight but it does need to be looked at by a vet either tomorrow(PetSmart Clinic is open on Sundays) or by your regular vet as soon as they open.

I hope all goes well,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you know if it is causing her any pain at all?
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.
This is not normally painful however if due to a problem behind the eye it may be. Signs of pain would be rubbing the eye with the paw or on the floor, couch etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could this be caused by me pulling her back on a leash yesterday? She lunged at another dog and I pulled her back by the leash to avoid a dog fight. Could this be the reason she's having this issue?
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay I am having some computer problems tonight. It is possible . In some cases this can be due to a cervical disc injury . Is she showing any other signs of neck injury. Limping on the front legs , pain when moving or reluctance to move the neck or any other odd behaviors?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No need to apologize, computer problems I completely relate to . She's not really limping, but she is extremely fatigued, I just flew her to California from New York as I had a job transfer, I flew her on petairways so she would be in the cabin of a plane, but it stressed her out nonetheless. Plus, with her just getting acclamated here (picked her up from the airport yesterday afternoon) I know she is confused and the airline said she didn't sleep a wink the entire flight. So needless to say, she's exhausted and it's totally apparant. I know I pulled hard on her leash yesterday to keep her from a full blown dog fight and am wondering if I hurt her neck in the process. The other owner had no control of his dog so it was up to me to keep them both from any harm.
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for understanding. Computers can be fustrating sometimes

I would keep an eye on her for any other signs of cervical injury or pinched nerve . Another cause of this as I mentioned above is a problem in the inner ear so it is possible that the flight has some effect on the ear.

I would see how she does tomorrow she may just be tired now and that is why she is laying around. Her time clock is going to off as much as yours. The eye will not be better but lets see how her attitude is

I will be on all day tomorrow if you want to check in and let me know how she is doing or if you see anything else that has you worried