Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog keeps dry heaving and it sounds like hes about to spit

Customer Question

My dog keeps dry heaving and it sounds like he's about to spit up. What do I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I would love to help I just have a few additional questions. After your reply please allow a few minutes for me to type your answer.

What breed is he?

What color are his gums?

Is the stomach larger or harder then normal?

Any chance he ate a non food item like a sock, toy, ball, etc

How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He's a red nosed pit bull, his gums are light pink, his stomach seems to be the normal size , he does get into things a lot so it is possible that he ate something, and Ive only noticed it for about 24 hours..
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.

Has she eaten today ?

Is she passing stool?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes he ate and he used the bathroom this morning
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Ok good

There are several things that can cause this.

* Bloat

* non food item in the stomach that he is unable to vomit up however in that case I would expect to see him vomit his food

* Intestinal parasites

* infection or irritation in the throat

* If coughing as well this may be associated with kennel cough.

. A spoonful of honey will help sooth the throat if that is the cause. Pepcid AC may help if he has an upset stomach. This can be dosed at 1- 10mg tablet per 40lbs of body weight every 12 hours.

The one thing I would like you to watch for is enlarging of the stomach. If the stomach become large and hard this could be a condition called bloat. Dry heaving is often one of the first signs we see.

Please read this information so you know what to watch for a bloat is a life threating condition.

If this is still going on tomorrow the he needs to be seen by a vet. If he show any signs of bloat he must be seen right away.

I hope all goes well, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns