Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

my dog got accidentally hit in the eye with a stick and it

my dog got accidentally hit in the eye with a stick and it left her eye swollen. At first she could not open it but it appears to be getting better. She can open it, but its irriated by the light at times. How what can I do to get rid of the swelling. The eyeball was red but I know see the white coming back in it, but there is still some swelling around the outer side of the eye. Please help me I am sick about this and I don't have any money for the vet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry your girl was injured.

My concern is that the eye itself may have been injured, the fact that the light seems to bother it could indicate a scratch on the eyeball and this needs to be treated by a vet. If the eye is injured and this is not addressed by a vet it is possible that this could result in permanent damage to the eye.

It is also possible that a piece of the stick is in the skin so you want to check for any open wounds.

Warm compresses or a used warm tea bag may help with the swelling. Rinse the eye twice daily with sterile saline used to clean contact lenses. NO human eye drops.

If she continues to have problems she really needs to be looked at.

Here are coupons for a free office visit and exam at 2 Veterinary clinics.If you use one of these then all you would have to cover is the cost of medication.

I would also call your local Humane Society and SPCA as they now have programs to help owners who are unable to afford veterinary care.

I hope all goes well, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

You are very welcome

The Vit E and goldseal will not like help and I would not want that to get in the eye and cause additional irritation.

Store brand saline rinse will be fine and any type of tea bag that has been boiled and cooled.

In most cases we are unable to see a scratch and the eye has to be stained to see it so keep a close watch on her if she is rubbing or scratching the eye or still squinting it should be looked at.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you will do. I have printed the coupons and will take her to the vet.
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

You are very welcome hopefully this is nothing serious and your girl will be just fine.