Dr. Brian
Dr. Brian, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  34 years in private practice, 2008 WA State Vet of the Year
13977145

I have a 6 year old puggle and she seems anxioius and keeps

I have a 6 year old puggle and she seems anxioius and keeps stretching. She is NOT drooling and did eat her dinner so I dont think it is bloat but still she seems restless
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Brian replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Brian :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to help you.

Dr. Brian :

Are her stools normal?

Customer:

Yes she went to the bathroom fine

Dr. Brian :

Has she had any history of swallowing objects like toys, rocks, or other non-digestable objects?

Customer:

well once she ate a fox tail (similar to a pine cone) that caused an abcess because it inbedded in her mouth

Customer:

she is part pug and they are like little goats

Dr. Brian :

Do you offer her bones to che on?

Dr. Brian :

That should be chew

Customer:

Yes soup bones usually

Customer:

she does go to daycare three days aweek but she was not there today

Dr. Brian :

Dogs that do alot of stretching, assume the bow wow position (head down, pelvis elevated) and that seem anxious frequently are dealing with a foreign body that they have swallowed. Bones are among those as they can become lodged. In general I'm not fan of feeding bones as they not only can get stuck, but they also commonly break teeth.

Customer:

As far as I know she has not had a bone in a week

Dr. Brian :

With foreign body ingestion the keeys to watch are for vomiting, loss of appetite, and straining to pass stools. I' m amazed at what they are able to pass, but do occasionally need to help them with a blockage through surgery.

Dr. Brian :

Since she is eating and not vomiting, I would just be watchful for now. If this is persisting into tomorrow I would consult your vet and perhaps get an x-ray.

Customer:

ok so do I need to take her to urgent care? She is stretching agin

Customer:

ok she is wagging her tail when she stretches

Dr. Brian :

I don't see any need for urgent care based on your description, but at the same time I would seek help if this persists into tomorrow. Also be aware of the risk of vomiting or diarrhea so consider that when you choose where she sleeps tonight.

Customer:

could I give her a litte fish oil to help her pass

Dr. Brian :

Fish oil is a digestable oil and will not have any benefit. Mineral oil, administered in food will lubricate things but will create a mess when it passes as she won;'t be able to control it. I would not choose this at this point.

Customer:

Ok I will wait

Dr. Brian :

You could give half a pepcid or pepto bismol to see if it will quiet her stomach.

Customer:

Ok I will try that. She does sometimes eat the cats hair balls (gross I know) maybe its that

Dr. Brian :

Great. Best wishes.

Customer:

Thank you for the help