Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Dog Suddenly Lame in Front Leg

5 year old active golden retriever/border colley mix ~ 50lbs, female, spayed. Went to bed fine. Woke up with lameness in left front leg. Will not take any weight. Pads do not appear scraped or torn. No thorns evident. Nails appear fine. No apparent swelling in the pads and joints however she spends a lot of time licking the pads on the limb in question. Palpating the affected leg and associated shoulder at the joints and muscle does not indicate any pain. Going on 2 days now and she is increasingly lethargic - but still eats normally and perks up with specific attention but clearly not herself.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry no one was available to help you earlier, different experts come on at different times.

If you would still like help can you please tell me if she has had any tick exposure?

Can you take a rectal temperature?

Other then the lethargy and limp any other changes at all no matter how small?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can not tell if anything I am typing here is getting to you or not. The just answer system keeps refreshing the typing window without any indication that my reply to your question has been delivered. So I apologize if you keep getting the same repsonse from me.

Breifly, no significant changes in condition. Her behavior most closely resembles a person who's leg is asleep. We do have ticks. Removed about a dozen from her between April and May. Herd of deer in the area. I don't have the means to take a temp.

Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information we seem to be having some issues with the site today. I have reported the problem you had and hopefully that will not happen again.

The symptoms you have described especially the front leg involvement are very often associated with Lyme disease in dogs.This just as in human can be dangerous if not treated and some dogs will sufferer from kidney damage due to this as well.The licking at the pad of the foot could also indicate a foreign object deep in the foot that you can not see, however, Lyme disease causes joint pain so licking is often a sign of pain.

While more commonly associated with Lyme disease there are several other tick borne illness that can cause problems as well. Since you found so many ticks on her I would suggest having a full tick panel ran by your vet.

Here is some additional information that may be helpful.

I would have her in to see the vet today if possible if not it should be before the end of the week.

I hope all goes well,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Update: Dog has recovered 100%. Put her on Doxycycline (from CalVet Supply) and within 3 days she was back to her old self. Will continue the course of treatment for another week. Looks like she picked up Lyme's disease from a tick bite. We're checking her more often and continue to use an anti-tick/flea treatment.
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I am so glad she is doing better and you were able to get treatment started.

Thank you so much for the update. GIve her a good belly rub from me.

Best Wishes