Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

What is a dogs resting respiration rate My dog is resting

What is a dog's resting respiration rate? My dog is resting quietly right now and his rate is irregular and between 50-60 per minute - closed mouth breathing, not panting. With normal to mild exertion it will go up as high as 80 and when he comes in from outside, it often goes - and stays - above 120. It is very hot here so I understand the increased rate with panting, but even after the panting stops, his closed mouth rate remains well over 100. This has been going on for at least a week but could have been longer - I'm afraid I didn't pay too much attention before that.

I though maybe it was still heat related and have tried putting the fan on him and putting ice packs (wrapped in a cloth, of course) on his abdomen - neither makes a difference. I've given him cool baths and that does help break the cycle, but as soon as he's active again, it goes back up.

He was this diagnosed with a UTI Friday - pH was 8 and wbcs were present - and has had 6 doses of Baytril.

Your thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Hi jacustomer-mac7n2at~

What breed of dog is he?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

5 year old, neutered Westie, 22 lbs but he's a larger one so he's not overweight (though he is pushing the normal range for his size)

Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions.

The 'normal' respiratory rate for a dog is 10-34 breaths per minute...HOWEVER, large breed dogs can be slower and smaller breed dogs can be faster. Add to it the fact that some medications, pain or even just mild discomfort can cause that rate to raise. Since your dog has only been doing it for a short time, I suspect it's due to discomfort from the infection he's got going on.

As long as you don't notice anything unusual with him, such as bluish tinge to lips of gums, lethargy or anorexia, I wouldn't worry about it at this point.