Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dog woke up limping this morning. Now he cannot walk at

My dog woke up limping this morning. Now he cannot walk at all his hind legs wont let him stand. He is whining and moaning, and yelped when he tried to stand. He seems as he wants to stand but cant
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

What breed dog do you have?

Was he playing before this happened?

Has this ever happened before?

What type of medication have you given?

If you pinch between his toes does he have feeling?

Has he been able to urinate or pass stool?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My dog is a pitbull terrier. He was not playing, he actually woke up limping and as the day progressed he got worse. Now he just cannot get his back legs to stand. This happened about 4 or 5 months ago but not to this extreme, I have given him excel aspirin, yes he feels when I pinched between his toes, he has not used the bathroom and I am assuming it is because he cannot get up.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

This may be from an injury, but I am also giving you inormation on what I suspect. It is called IVDD Invertebratal Disc Disease. It is similiar to a Herniated Disc in Humans. This will need to be treated by a Vet. They will need to do some X rays, a Mylegram or an MRI and a complete Neurological exam. Until you can get into the Vet you need to do complete crate rest. If Caine needs to use the bathroom, then you will need to carry him out and carry him back in. In some cases he may not be able to have a bowel movement or urinate do to this problem. You can try and assist by using a towel under the abdomen to support him. In many cases surgical repair is needed for a severe injury. I am going to give you some information to read about IVDD. These are the links to go through:

Please do not give any more apsirin or medications until you can see the Vet. When you give over the counter medications it may postpone the pain meds and anti inflammatories that the Vet can administer due to a contraindication. You can alternate ice and heat to the spine and keep him crated. He will need to get to the Vet asap. If you would like to get him into an ER Vet I can locate one for you with a city, state and zip code. make sure you alert the Vet to what you have given Caine. I suggest that you protect the syomach, you give Pepcid AC. The Dosage is here in this link, scroll down to pepcid as it goes by weight: Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can I give him pepto, i do not have pepcid. I had caine from a baby he has never had an injury, can he still have IVDD without an injury. I am so scared because he is trying to crawl. Everytime we try to help him he, he growls and seems ready to bite
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Better to not give anything. Pepto also has the ingredients of aspirin in it. As far as this may be a degenerative issue, but until examined hands on, we will not know if this is a pinched nerve or a disc issue. It will be important to allow him to remain still as much as possible and see the Vet asap. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Joan!