Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

My dog has a foul odor on her back end. It is not her anal

Customer Question

My dog has a foul odor on her back end. It is not her anal glands as I have found many people quickly think is the problem. She has been to the vet but he cannot seem to figure out the problem, but cannot smell well so its hard for him to place the odor. It is a sour infectious smell and I think it to be concentrated in her hip and stomach area. She has been bathed with normal shampoo and some medicated from the vet. It has subsided somewhat but the smell has been present for over a month. Help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 3 years ago.
Another area to look would be around the vulva. Some dogs can have a recessed vulva which causes the area in the folds to remain moist and can develop yeasty/bacterial infections which can smell rotten. You would possibly be able to see this for yourself by looking at the skin between the folds. If it is dark and wet then this could be your culprit. Should this be the case then using the wipes in this area between the folds may decrease the odor. Some dogs can also develop vaginitis secondary to having a recessed vulva. If this is the case surgical repair of the area (vulvoplasty) may be in order to reduce the risk of infections and skin irritation.

Yeast infection on the skin can also be an issue. I would have your vet perform a couple impression slides on the skin in the back area, stomach, and between her legs as well as the skin between the skin folds to see if this shows anything that may cause the odor. They would be looking for bacteria, yeast or both.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Our vet did say she has a recesses vulva which I have started to monitor. On her follow up the area in and around the vulva seemed normal to him in appearance, but I am going to start monitoring it myself to see if there are any changes. A few times when I have gone to examine the area a bit of urine has come out. She has not had any other problems with incontinence any other time just when I spread her legs so I think it might be sort of a submission urination. Not sure about that either. Any other advice based on that knowledge would be great.
Expert:  Theresa replied 3 years ago.
If she has a recessed vulva then it would be common for a tiny amount of urine to be hung up in that area just due to her conformation. It doesn't mean that she has urinary incontinence though I would look for signs of this around her bed or on area where she is sleeping to see if they have a wet spot that might indicate urinary incontinence. Otherwise, keeping the area cleaned with wipes daily will help. If you notice any redness, inflammation, or oozing then antibiotics and possibly surgical treatment may be needed.

One other point to mention is that if she isn't spayed then I would have any vaginal discharge examined and make sure that your vet has ruled out a pyometra.

Thank you

Theresa