Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My old dog hasnt had a bowel movement in 2 days. Should I

My old dog hasn't had a bowel movement in 2 days. Should I be worried yet?

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Is she straining to go and nothing is coming out?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, not at all. She has just always been a daily pooper and I watch her closely and am just surprised and wondering if I should take her to the vet tomorrow if nothing happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't received any answer....

Ok I am typing the answer now. : )

You can try some ove the counter constipation remedies. If these do not work, in 24 hours, then she should see the vet. When they are severely constipated they stop eating and often vomit.

I would buy some plain metamucil. Make sure it is the sugar free kind. Mix a tablespoon if she is a large breed dog and a teaspoon if she is a small breed dog (under 30 pounds) of the metamucil with the favorite food once a day.

There is also an over the counter product for hairballs called "laxatone." It does help prevent, and resolve, hairballs but it can also help with constipation. Try 1/2 inch to 1 inch strip once a day.

If your dog will eat it, you can also try canned plain pumpkin. It is high in fiber. Give a tablespoon of that once a day with food.

You can purchase a stool softener at the drug store called "docusate sodium." You can give 50 mg by mouth per day as needed.

I do not recommend trying to do an enema yourself at home. It can be dangerous for your dog.

If these remedies do not work, there is a veterinary prescription medication called "lactulose." This is a liquid that is given 2-3 times a day by mouth for constipation. It is quite effective.

There are also foods called "low residue." These are foods that are more digestible which means there is less stool to come out. "Iams low residue" is a popular one.

Try to encourage water intake as well. The more water she drinks, the less likely she will have hard stools. You can add water to her food or a little low sodium chicken broth. Canned food has a higher moisture content then dry food. If she is not used to canned food, change her over very gradually or she will get diarrhea.

I hope this helps.